As the seasons change, it is common for people to feel sick or under the weather. Furthermore, when you are sick, it’s vital to make sure you are giving your teeth the proper care to help you recover from your illness faster.
Our doctor, Dr. Jerry Butler, wishes you positive oral health and overall health. That is why our team in Boone, North Carolina, has provided you with some insight on the basics of how to care for your oral health during an illness.
Here are some tips to take care of when you are feeling sick for optimum oral health:
– Look for sugarless cough drops, which are healthier for your teeth and body during an illness.
– Continue to brush your teeth twice a day and floss daily.
– If you experience vomiting, don’t brush immediately because your teeth are exposed to harmful acids in your stomach. Try to rinse your mouth out and wait at least twenty minutes for the acids to clear away before brushing.
– Stay hydrated so drink lots of water to avoid dry mouth, which is essential to remember so your mouth keeps up its natural saliva production.
– Do not ever share your toothbrush with anyone else to keep from spreading bacteria and germs.
If you are ready for a dental cleaning after an illness, or if you are just in need of a standard dental checkup, please call us today at (828) 264-5858 to make an appointment. Our friendly dental team is happy to assist you with any oral health concerns you may have.